My likes are in a constant state of flux…
Movie-wise, I love:
- Singin’ In The Rain – Gene Kelly at his sauvest, Debbie reynolds at her cutest, Cyd Charisse at her frackin’ sexiest and Donald O’Connor at his funniest.
- The Princess Bride – Just. Plain. Awesome.
- Gentlemen Prefer Blondes – Jane Russell and Marilyn Monroe directed by Howard Hawks, with sparkling wit and sass.
- Brown Sugar – Taye Diggs. Sanaa Lathan. Hip hop. Done.
- The Life Aquatic, Grosse Point Blank, High Fidelity, Dinner Rush, How To Marry A Millionaire, Love & Sex
Book-wise, I’ve really dug:
- Maynard & Jennica by Rudolph Delson – A very funny and self-assured debut
- Middlesex by Jeffrey Eugenides – I just read this for the first time and was blown away by its greatness. I urge everyone to read it
- The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay by Michael Chabon – It made me cry, but then most things do. It did justify my love for graphic novels all over again
- Y: The Last Man by Brian K. Vaughan and Pia Guerra. Great story and strong fantastic women characters.
- Preacher by Garth Ennis and Steve Dillon, London Is The Best City In America by Laura Dave, Prep by Curtis Sittenfeld, The Position by Meg Wolitzer, Purple Hibiscus by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie, Something Borrowed by Emily Giffin.
TV shows I love:
- Buffy the Vampire Slayer – often copied, never bettered. Full of the most irreverent dialogue and kickassiest (?) women on TV. And Spike.
- The Wire – I know, I know. Sigh. I cannot lie, it’s the business. Awesome from conception and the execution is almost flawless. Jimmy McNulty/Dominic West has an air of sexgod about him, too.
- How I Met Your Mother, Spaced, Arrested Development, Angel, Gilmore Girls – Smart women talking fast, The Simpsons, Flight of the Conchords, Felicity, Futurama, 30 Rock, Firefly
Other things I like
- Fastidious punctuation, spelling and grammar
- Paul Rudd
- Chiwetel Ejiofor
- Taye Diggs
- Paul Rudd
- Ryan Gosling
- Coffee cake
- Fried egg sandwiches
- Nail varnish
- Star Trek